Warm Lentil Salad with Verjuice and Peapod Shoots (4.13.12)
by Brandon Howard, La Caille / Common Wealth
- 3/4 cup green lentils (4.75 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 bunch Fresh Mint
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Verjuice ( non-alcoholic cooking wine)
- 3 ounces fresh peapod shoots (about 2 cups) or Spinach
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add lentils, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot, and celery. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in parsley, Verjuice, chopped mint, and remaining tablespoon oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
Drain lentils, and add to bowl with vegetables. Serve over pea shoots or spinach, and season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle a little Verjuice over the salad.